BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wonderful Whole Wheat Waffles!

This recipe comes from my sister in pioneering, Kelly.  She's hard core pioneer, canning and stuff!  I'm about 1/2 the pioneer girl that she is... and I wear more leopard print.
This recipe is a great starting point.  You can start with all the flour whole wheat or use some white flour and gradually add more whole wheat with each batch, to get your kids used to it.  I've even replaced 1/2 cup of the flour with oats!  You can certainly add berries, chocolate chips, bananas, pumpkin etc.  
You will need a waffle maker in order to make these!!!




3 tablespoons melted butter
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of honey - you could use sugar or even an agave nectar or an artificial sweetener, I always use honey.
1 ½ cup milk 
2 eggs

Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Mix the eggs into 1 cup of the milk and the honey.  Blend it all together, adding the butter.  Add more of the milk if your batter is too dry.  Your batter should be some what thin.  After your batter is all mixed, you can add your fruit, chocolate, etc.  **CAUTION - If you are using frozen berries, gently fold them in or your waffles will turn a purplish-gray.  I speak from experience!**
Follow your waffle makers directions for cooking.  Mine has me spray w/non-stick spray and cook until the steam stops. 
Serve with your favorite toppings!!!

I always at least DOUBLE this recipe.  I add 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of old fashioned oats. They come out so good!  Once they are cooled, you can freeze them.  I've also stored them in the refrigerator for a day or 2. Toast in the toaster or the oven to reheat!

Enjoy!

P.S.  I'm thinking pumpkin waffles with some pumpkin pie spice for this weekend!!!  YUM!  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Have to give this recipe two thumbs up! They also freeze and reheat nicely. Oh and purple-ish grey healthy waffles never hurt anyone :o)

    ReplyDelete